I’ve been reluctant to do so for a couple reasons (mostly baseless), but recently I decided ah, the heck with it. Asynchronous email will suffice for 98% of my person-to-person communication needs. For the other 2%, I ought to make myself available for exactly that portion of my day.
So starting today (and let’s see how long this lasts), I’m going to spend at most 2 hours a day available on IM, IRC and Skype. I’ll still be in the Flock team channel, but that’s it. I’m also going to try to cut down email access during the day as well and do most of it on my daily train commute.
So that’s that. If you don’t see me on IM much anymore, it’s not coz I’m dead (though if I’m MIA for more than three days, send a search party). Hopefully this will lead to a new era in productivity for yours truly. We’ll see.