Tom, I know we haven’t always seen eye-to-eye but you were my first friend on MySpace, and so, in my book, that made us BFF.
But it troubles me, Tom, when I read today that the government has passed US House Resolution 5319, the Deleting Online Predators Act (DOPA). The act looks at how much a “commericial social networking site and/or chat room”:
- is offered by a commercial entity;
- permits registered users to create an on-line profile that includes detailed personal information;
- permits registered users to create an on-line journal and share such a journal with other users;
- elicits highly-personalized information from users; and
- enables communication among users.
Clearly this is aimed at MySpace!
So Tom… when I went to your MySpace page to see what you had to say about it… you’d been deleted! If this act is about “deleting online predators” well, I can only hope that this was a mistake, but… I’m afriad that, Tom, there’s simply no way we can be BFF if you’ve been deleted.
For whatever reasons.
I hope you understand.