I need to get this out of my system so that I can get back to real work, but damn, there’s plenty o’ cool things in and around the web-making world lately. A sampling of what’s new and decent that you, yes you, dear reader, might check out:
In the WordPress plugin category:
- SlimStat — A simple web stats analyser based on ShortStat
- hCard and hCalendar creator widgets (I want XFN added to the Add Link box!)
- WordPress Reports (aka TanTan Stats) — for pulling Google Analytics and Feedburner into your Dashboard
- Building a slidey Shelf in WordPress
In new web apps:
- CollectiveX — pulling icons from SimpleBits, a color scheme selector from 37Signals and Lokesh‘s Lightbox JS.
- Not so new, but finally got an account: Assaf‘s co.mments.
- GooToDo — email based To Do lists (via Lane)
- Sign of the times app of the day and must-mention Google app, Calendar. With switching costs so low, it does seem like taking on anything Googlifiable is a dangerous proposition unless you’ve got a nuke (to quote Munjal).
In the Hack MySpace corner:
- Mike Davidson has done something to MySpace that will no doubt lead to the second coming of CSS Zen Garden as the CSS Zen MySpace. (Bonus points for his Gmail via IMAP solution).
- Previously: Keegan’s MySpace profile hack.
In “software you haven’t heard of but should try”:
- Pastor — still the simplest way to store your usernames, passwords and serials
- Virtue — multiple desktops, now in active development again (r122)
- Endo — from the 4-letter-name app creator of 1001 and Ect, a slick newsreader
- Journler (via Greg Elin) — not the most pretty, but very functional journal (oo! with tags!)
- Pyro — neat use of Webkit for one purpose: showing Campfire chats (via SvN)
- Corripio — super simple tool for grabbing album artwork
- CamiScript — add Applescript support to Camino (script repository)
Got anything you’ve come into recently that you want to pass along? Always looking for the latest and greatest, so drop a note in the comments.
3 thoughts on “A million cool things”
Are you still going to Barcamptdot/Mesh? If you are I would like to show you what we are working on, I think you will really get it.
Heya Bernie — yup — not only will I be there, but I’ll be speaking! Definitely seek me out!